Friday, August 14, 2009

We received a call from UCSF

I recevied a call from UCSF. The coordinating nurse told me that she received all my medical records and scans from my OB and SAC MFM, and they were ready for me as soon as they received the pre-auth from my insurance. She then explained that they would re-do all of the tests except for the amnio. She said they would do the ultrasound, an ECHO, an then we would meet with a doctor. She advised me that we should plan to be there all day. I asked if we would find out that day if we "qualified" for the surgery. She advised me not to expect to come there for the surgery. I was disappointed immediately. She said you are coming here for a second opinion not for surgery. The surgery only happens for about 35% of patients who go there for CDH. She told me to go to their website and read all of the information on CDH, that it would prepare me for the appointment.

I finally sat down to read the information on their website and was devastated by the real facts given on the website. SO many of the babies born with this just don't make it. This was so hard to swallow, and definately makes it hard to "stay positive" after reading the medical statistics. I kept thinking I should've waited until the appointment was scheduled before reading this stuff. I was devastated and angry. It was frustrating to say the least. I felt helpless and hopeless. I just wanted to make it all better for Averi. All I could do was pray, and leave it in God's hands. At times this is definately easier said then done, but I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment