Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dialysis is in place...

This update is a couple of hours old, but I thought I'd go ahead and report it anyway. (Sorry! I was away from the computer)

They have the dialysis set to remove 20mL fluid/hr. When I last heard from Teresa, it was working well, and they even took her off of lasix (the diuretic). The doctor assured them that Averi's kidneys are FINE, and that she would only need this for a couple of days to take the stress off of her kidneys. All of the excess fluid is making it difficult for the lungs to expand. The hope is that once all that puffiness is gone, the lungs will have more room!

What I found interesting, as I was trying to figure out how this contraption worked, is that it is actually (somehow) removing urine from her blood. I was amazed to learn that. I guess it makes sense, since that is the job of the kidneys!

Keep praying!

I will leave you with pictures of her new technology...

This is the new dialysis machine that they basically add on to the ECMO circuit.
And THIS is Averi's "stuff." Believe it or not, all of that equipment is for her! The lightened area in the middle is Averi's bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment